We offers clients comprehensive federal, state, and international tax services, ranging from tax planning to controversy services.
Members of our Tax Practice Group provide a wide range of services that are critical to the successful management of the corporate tax mission in the post-Sarbanes-Oxley environment. Our goal is to provide the best service and achieve the best results possible for our clients.
Transactional Tax Planning
Our Tax Practice attorneys have in-depth knowledge in the areas most important to public and large private companies, including:
· Tax planning for mergers and acquisitions, including tax-free reorganizations and taxable sales and acquisitions of businesses
· Advice on planning opportunities and pitfalls under the consolidated return regulations
· Structuring like kind and other tax-free exchanges
· Analysis of tax accounting issues and strategies
· Advice on the taxation of international transactions and operations
· Structuring of partnerships, LLCs, and other pass-through entities
· Designing executive compensation and employee benefit plans
· State and local tax planning
Our Tax Practice attorneys also offer independent, objective
analysis of the tax products promoted by others, as well as review of
proposed tax return positions and evaluation of the tax reserve.
Tax Controversies and Litigation
We handle all phases of the tax controversy process, including:
· Factual development and discovery
· Development of legal theories
· Effective advocacy of the taxpayer's position
· Negotiation with examining agents, appeals officers, government lawyers, and the national office
· All aspects of tax litigation, including handling of experts and other witnesses
We understand that litigation often is not the shortest path to the best possible result, and we regularly take advantage of opportunities to resolve issues administratively. Our participation in the early stages of a controversy, when Internal Revenue Service lawyers may already be involved may lead to a favorable resolution of the case at IRS examination or appeals, thereby enabling our clients to avoid the costs and risks of litigation.
Legislative and Regulatory Advocacy
We provides a full range of legislative and regulatory services for resolving tax issues, including policy development, issue management, government relations, and strategic communications. Experience in the trenches of public affairs and a capacity to manage the most complex and sensitive public matters are available to our clients as soon as the need arises. We can meet a wide variety of client needs at the federal and state levels.
Our Tax Practice Group is experienced in providing what corporate taxpayers need today; objective, independent, and sophisticated advice on the most important and most difficult tax problems, free of conflicts of interest.
We promote service, not products. Moreover, as attorneys, we offer the broadest possible confidentiality protection that facilitates a free exchange of ideas with our clients, as well as creative thinking and sophisticated solutions.
Efficient and Cost-Effective Representation
We believe that efficiency begins with excellent communication between attorney and client to create a clear understanding of the client's objectives, opportunities, and business constraints. This approach, coupled with our efficient staffing policies, leads to cost-effective solutions.
To ensure that all of our clients throughout the U.S. receive comprehensive, competitive, and current tax and business counsel, we have made large investments in technology and in a highly trained staff of attorneys and other professionals who are experts in a broad range of industries and specialties. All of our Tax Practice attorneys have immediate access to the most complete, up-to-date tax research facilities and resources currently available. In addition, they regularly confer and collaborate with their colleagues around the country for additional expertise in specialized business areas.
We find business oriented and advantageous solutions to tax problems.